“Yum! Fresh eggs are here again!” said my daughter with joy. When the hens start laying spring is just around the corner.
If you’ve ever thought of getting chickens now is a good time to get ready. With a little preparation they are very easy to raise and the eggs and manure are great to have. Starting with chicks from the feed store is a good way to go.
For chicken success you need:
- A dry place for them to perch, lay eggs and sleep
- An area for exercise and scratching
- Protection from predators. I have lost quite a few chickens to racoons; they are very good at pulling up fences, digging and even going so far as to pull boards off of coops. Hawks have carried off a few chicks.
- Access to clean water and food. Food needs to be protected from rats or you can have a huge pest problem.
- A good source of calcium for shell development. This can be in the food or as a supplement such as ground up shells.